A Taste of Life at Windrush Alpacas

June 29, 2008

Sometimes Rejection is a Good Thing

Filed under: alpaca, Alpaca Care, Alpaca Reproduction, Alpacas, camelids, General — Tags: , , — alpacalady @ 6:57 am

Yesterday it was time to test Theresa with Zin again to see if we were making progress in getting her to cycle and possibly conceive a pregnancy.    Having watched Theresa over the last few days I was secretly optimistic that we were making progress, as she had been quite grumpy toward the weanlings who are her current pasture mates.  While she is pretty dominant and always first in line for food, once she starts eating she is usually focused on the task in hand, but on Thursday I had seen her fussing if any of the weanlings came near the hay feeder that she was feeding from and at one point chasing one of the weanlings away from the hay feeder (good job we have more than one in the pasture).

 

We put Theresa in a catch pen and as I brought Zin over to the pen I saw Theresa’s ears go flat back against her head – a good sign that she might reject him.  Before we could get Zin in the pen with Theresa she was spitting hard at him.  Having had her spit, scream and then cush the other day we decided we should let Zin into the pen with Theresa just to make sure that was not going to happen again.  It didn’t as Theresa ran from Zin and then turned to let him have it with some more spit.  A good indication that she has at least cycled.

 

So Zin was disappointed for the day and was returned to his pasture where he made it clear to his pasture mates that he was not a happy camper!  The downside of being a herdsire I’m afraid, but after a short while the hay feeder called to him and was a nice distraction.

 

So we now have all fingers and toes crossed that Theresa has conceived.  If nothing else we know she is now cycling again which is good news in itself.

 

We will behavior test Theresa in a week, I want to keep her stress levels low and I also want to give her reproductive tract a chance to recover from the two breedings she has recently had.  Should she cush when we test her we will give her an antiseptic flush in case she has a low grade uterine infection and then breed her the following day.  However we are going to remain optimistic that next time she encounters Zin she will again reject him giving us greater hope that she is now pregnant.  Keep your fingers crossed for us!

 

Rosemary

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: